Sea Shanty Lady

Friday, February 17, 2012


I just came across this lady again and thought I'd share. I sketched her in an airplane. She exists in a completely different time and universe than Ms. Cerulean in the previous post, right? An example of the two roads my art's been wandering down...the historical/sartorial coin is always flipping...


I imagined a place like Cape Ann behind her. There is a beautiful old graveyard facing Sandy Bay, where I could see her standing. When we took a family trip and wandered into it, this view stole the breath right out of me (its up a brambly hidden hill from Mill Pond Park off Beach St. if you ever want to see). It's one of those places that stays with you... the stuff sea shanties are made of! I kept imagining very old and forgotten romances when I was on this hill....Women at windows with eyes fixed on the sea, waiting for their loves to return home...



At the time of this trip I was listening to a lot of Crooked Still. But this morning, I woke up with this dreamy song in my head. I'm publishing this post early, since we have friends coming to stay and I'm off to be a Boston tourist this weekend! Happy long weekend! XO