New + Old

Sunday, August 7, 2011

This weekend was full of NEW + OLD, with a backdrop of coastal Quincy rain (the light tapping kind) and a visit from my parents up from Connecticut. We cooked our first brunch for guests in our new house, on new china, on a new table. Thankfully, our conversation topics spanned the comfy old Denos favorites though: technology, Star Trek, poetry, recipes, family history and ghosts (the usual) and I even got a piece of my past from way down south, a copied picture (thanks, Aunt RB!):

This is my great-grandma, Pocca's mother: "Mama Roe"
(Ruth Bailey Munroe)

When I was little, I used to stare at this photo in amazement, imagining she was a movie star from the old-fashioned days. The rusty stains that happened decades ago resulted in starry confetti falling around her. It adds unintentional dreaminess that I've always loved. Her face still inspires me...

8 comments:

Mai Kemble said...

what an enchanting photograph!
yes, she is beautiful :)

Teaka said...

Beautiful image of your great Grandmother! Such character and such history in it!

Anonymous said...

wow, how beautiful indeed! love love the haircut and the dress. one could wear all this now, too! so timeless! xoxo

btw, I have a little jewelry Giveaway over my place if you wanna check it out, and might light to enter! http://some-kind-of-style.blogspot.com/2011/08/giveaway-of-sheyna-moonstone-earrings.html

Thank you!

ETCIllustration said...

That's one heckuva table setting! You stylish lady.

www.juliadenos.com said...

Thanks, ladies! and thanks Ellen-the table setting focal point is road side weeds, but who says weeds can't be stylish right??

My Fashion Dolly said...

The photograph is amazing!!! She looks so classy, like a Chanel model. By the way, your table setting was gorgeous!

Xoxo

Rocio R.
http://myfashiondolly.blogspot.com

martinealison said...

Très jolie publication...
Gros bisous

Rachel H said...

Julia! I am not sure if your post secretly inspired me or if it's just synchronicity, but I just wrote about a picture of my grandma, too! There is a real art to a photo that still looks good 50 years later. I think it goes beyond vintage fashion being cool these days and has to do with tastefulness of the sitter, and of the photographer. Here's my little post if you're interested from a photographic perspective: http://www.mergeweddings.com/archives/glamour-drama-timelessness/