Just Being Audrey

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

One day last week there was a knock on my door. I peeked out, grabbed the bundle waiting there and ripped it open (and danced around)...Audrey had arrived! First advanced copy:




I wake up in the mornings now with nervous excitement for the release of this title (January 25th is almost here!) I am nervous because I know my representation won't ever do justice to the life. On the other hand, I am so excited because just cannot wait to share Audrey's story, told by Margaret Cardillo. To study a life like Audrey's was life-changing. She was an inspiring soul I grew to know, respect and hold dear over months of research; a beautiful muse and almost a maternal presence while I worked. I always tell Matt that Audrey feels like my fairy-grandmother! I really miss her now that the book is done...

Photo by Philippe Halsman, 1955

Audrey told me in a dream recently that "giving is what makes the work worth it" as she wrote checks out to empty waiting hands, giddily smiling from ear to ear (dressed, of course, in a well-cut yellow pants suit and matching broad brimmed hat!) I've been trying my best to carry the feeling and message of that dream with me through the holidays, especially. Apart from her "look", Audrey's intense need to GIVE and the joy she experienced doing so was one of her most stunning characteristics. I'm looking forward to seeing her again on shelves and in hands and hopefully inspiring a new generation.

Oh! AND! we've created a Just Being Audrey book page, so come join us here:





25 comments:

Casey G. said...

so exciting! As a long time Audrey fan(oh yeah Charade!) and so far from what I have seen it looks like you captured her perfectly. Can't wait to get a copy of the book! Beautiful work.

Quelle Books said...

I just joined and asked a whole bunch of people to join with me. I can't wait to read the book. I write a classic film blog and I'll make sure to review it on there when I can. :-)

ETCIllustration said...

I love that the Audrey in your dream was somewhat like a female, tailored version of the Man with the Yellow Hat from Curious George!

Unknown said...

Congrats! The illustrations capture her well & are so playful!

anne said...

Yay, love her & very excited for you, Julia! Those endpapers are lusciously saturated with love & joy! xoxo

www.juliadenos.com said...

thank you thank you for the kind words <3

(Ellen-love that!haha)

Amanda Laurel Atkins said...

Eeeee!
Congratulations, Julia! I seriously can't wait to own a copy of this book. I love the way you describe her as a maternal figure. That's exactly what she is. I used to write quotes by her in my 8th grade journal and had so many books about her...I think your illustrated book will recapture that feeling for me! I'm so excited for its release.
xoxo
Amanda

Jacqueline Hudon-Verrelli said...

The illustrations look so beautiful! Congratulations. I Can't wait to get a copy when the book comes out :)

Teaka said...

Ooh how exciting! It's been released the same day as my birthday!!! What a fantastic day that will me. :)

Kate said...

I can't think of anyone more fitting to illustrate such a volume. You've done Audrey proud! I cannot wait to have my own copy!

Bob Logan said...

Well done! Congrats!

b!

Erin said...

I can't wait to read this. :)

GloamingDesigns said...

congratulations!! i love your audrey dream and i have no doubt that she guided you through the illustrations. :) can't wait to see it!

Nina Crittenden said...

Oh my goodness! SO happy for you and cannot wait to get a copy (it comes out on my daughter's birthday!). So wonderful, Julia! :)

Sarah Jane said...

Oh I just can't wait. So excited! Gorgeous Gorgeous Gorgeous!

Mandy Saile said...

Wow congrats. I dream of the day I am illustrating books...somedays it seems like it'll never come but than sometimes it feels closer when I see inspiring artists and lovely people like you:D thanks for sharing your excitement, you should be proud:D

www.juliadenos.com said...

Mandy- your work is so beautiful!

Thanks for the encouragement and excitement too, ladies :)

Esther said...

i sooo love it and can't wait to hold in my hands!!! i also blogged about it.


http://tochangehorses.blogspot.com/2010/12/very-merry-unbirthday.html

xxx esther xxx

jacklynn4 said...

congrats! I can't wait to get my copy...
jackie
bliss farm antiques

Arianna Belle said...

Wow from what I can tell from the little previews it looks so beautiful! Can't wait to head on over to an Anthropologie store to see it in person! Fantastic work! I'm a new fan :-)

IreneCandy said...

Ooooh! That's amazing!!

Audrey left us 18 years ago... And this thursday I'll write in my blog a post to promote this book.

I can't wait for buy this book... When will arrive in Spain?? :)

oxoxo

Stephanie Roth Sisson said...

So beautiful! I'm very envious- but your illustration are PERFECT! I think Audrey would be proud.

David said...

OMG!!! That's fantastic!!! Can't wait to have one!!!!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

My daughter adores her and now she will own this amazing book, thank you, thank you!!!

Little Creatable said...

I love Audrey! I can't wait to get one of these books. The art work is just so delicious.