Horses...1987 to 2007.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007


So here is a resurrected horse piece from circa 1987...My mom just found this in the basement. Inside is a letter to Mr. Rogers too. The top is the final art for Sleepover Squad #5 Pony Party (the side-pony-tailed 5 year old in me was insanely excited to do this one). That's 20 years of horsies folks.

Ah... youth and Crayola markers. My sisters and I used to sit three in a row on the couch sharing markers between us in a wicker condiment basket. Usually we would color on the stacks of laser printer connected sheets of paper from my dad's office. The connected sheets made a GREAT format for books and stories continuing as long as you wanted.

My sisters and I loved to draw highly detailed "cozy" restaurant scenes and marketplaces, Thanksgiving dinner in a grandmother's apartment, or our very favorite, families bringing in a Christmas tree and setting it up, showing a cutaway of all levels in the house. Even the mice were doing something. This part of me was reawakened by the new one from Barbara McClintock, Mary and the Mouse, the Mouse and Mary.

What were your favorite things to draw as a child? I'm throwing this question out to the blogger world.

3 comments:

Dianne said...

Julia - i love the pictures and getting to hear about things through your blog. I used to draw a house (complete with sidewalk and flowers) and a rainbow. My friends and I would have "drawing contests" and even though we didn't put our names on the pictures you could always tell which one was mine!
Dianne

Josephine Cameron said...

Bubbles. Stars. And trees with squiggles for leaves. Those were about the only things I could draw that I thought looked like anything. I always thought horses were the hardest possible thing to draw. I love your horses...both new and old!

Kate said...

Horses and pandas. What little girl didn't dream of horses or unicorns?