Childhood Inspiration

Wednesday, February 28, 2007


I just purchased this Reading Rainbow endorsed gem of a book yesterday at the store I work at once a week. The store's called Curious George, and it's chock full of treasure (and also a bizarre assortment of gifts including light up eyeball tentacles as impulse items). I feel so lucky to be there for that little stint. Not only do I get to art chat and talk shop with the other crazy booker friends, I get to find and buy my childhood inspirations (or at least peruse them on lunch break). This book was one of the driving forces in my childhood to keep at it. I remember being in about 1st grade and being amazed by the colors, and the fact that the horses were referred to by the Sioux indians as the Sacred Dogs. I kinda never get over my love for drawing ponies and the plains indians.

Paul Goble's flat shapes and very well thought out page design makes this book quite a world to enter as a child (or grown up). I'd recommend it, but "you don't have to take my word for it!"
:)

No comments: